1. You are invited to attend one of our upcoming open houses, and enjoy the warmth of our beautiful and carefully designed space that reflects our concern for your child's physical, emotional, and sensory comfort. We request that your first visit is only parents or guardians so we may speak honestly and frankly about your concerns and needs for your child. We look forward to your comments and questions.
2. Following your visit, please complete, scan, and submit an enrollment application with the following paperwork:
•most recent neuropsychological report
•most recent report cards, other reports that describe your child's recent school experience
•most recent IEP
•a non-refundable application fee of $350 (please make checks payable to Whole Child Academy)
Checks may be mailed to:
Dr. Ellen Richer
Long Island Whole Child Academy
175 Wolf Hill Road
Melville, New York 11747
3. Please research and read about your child's rights to a Free and Appropriate Public Education (FAPE). Federal law, under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), mandates that all children, including those requiring special education resources, receive an appropriate education. The public school system may be required to pay for an appropriate private placement when the public school cannot provide the required supports and services.
You can learn more about IDEA by clicking
4. Following receipt of this material, our admissions committee will review the submission. Once it has been determined that there is a strong fit between your child and The Whole Child Academy, you and your child will be invited to visit the school. Your child will spend approximately one and a half hours meeting with the Head of School and the staff who will observe and interact with your child to conduct preliminary assessments.
5. Next a contract will be signed between you and the school. You will also receive the admissions packet including our academic calendar, and be formally welcomed into The Long Island Whole Child Academy family.